When you find yourself going through a rough patch, there are a few things that you should avoid at all costs in order to protect your mental health from deteriorating any further. In today’s post I am going to be trying to help you to limit those things.
Were always told what we should do when were struggling, but never what we shouldn’t do. I’m here today to advise you on what to avoid in order to preserve your mental health.. I hope this proves useful to some of you, and please feel free to message me if you have any questions or you want anything I say explaining in more detail.
What not to do when you’re struggling:
- DON’T shut yourself away. Even if you feel like complete and utter crap and you want to hide yourself away from the world, its the worst thing you can possibly do. If you’re struggling, you should be around people who care about you, people who love you and want to see you well. Try to explain what is going on, it makes things a whole lot easier when you have other people willing to help you. You don’t have to face things alone anymore. Open up and let people in to help, because trust me- it does help.
- DON’T put on a brave face and pretend that everything is okay. Your struggles are just as valid as anyone elses, and you deserve to seek, and get, the proper treatment that you deserve.
- DON’T get stuck in an ‘Instagram binge.’ Its so easy to scroll through Instagram, looking at pictures of all of your friends and family enjoying their ‘perfect’ life and feel sad that you aren’t living a ‘perfect’ life. The reality is that no one has a perfect life, because perfection doesn’t exist. We only post the pictures on Instagram (and all social media for that matter) that we want other people to see. We don’t post the down days, only the up. So don’t let an app drag you down, you’re better than that.
- DON’T listen to sad songs or look at sad quotes, it will only make you sadder!! Listen to up beat happy music and look at motivating quotes. Remember that you won’t feel like this forever, and that tomorrow is a blank canvas for you to make it what you want.
- DON’T mope about doing nothing. It’s so important to distract yourself, otherwise you will end up feeling worse. Get creative, go for a walk, do anything that makes you happy!